Texas has always held a mysterious beauty about it, rooted in the gallant history of the cowboys and belles and lifted by the unrivaled modern prosperity of today. BBC News recently noted that five of the 10 fastest-growing U.S. cities of this late year were in Texas. New York, for obvious reasons, remains the leader in growth but Texas cities like Houston race hotly behind the big apple gaining more and more people each year.
"Houston added 34,625 residents between July 1, 2011, and July 1, 2012, bringing the city's population to 2.16 million, making that the second-largest numeric increase for a city in the U.S," the U.S. Census Bureau said May 23.
Last April, the Census Bureau ranked the Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land metropolitan statistical area and Harris County among the fastest-growing MSAs and counties. Houston is, without a doubt, growing more and more but why? Here are Lancaster Homes' five points for an increase in the Lone Star State and, in particular, Houston:
1. Low Taxes: Texas has "no state income tax," suspects New York–based blogger A.S. at THE ECONOMIST. "High-earning New Yorkers and Californians can take home between 9 percent and 11 percent more of their income" just by moving there. All in all, the trend "does not bode well for high-tax states with nasty fiscal problems." Texas is the place to be to earn money and keep money.
2. Housing Costs: Land is plentiful and cheap. It is "one of the remarkable economic stories of the last decade," says Economist blogger R.A.. During the economic downturn of 2008, Texas and Houston, in particular, were considerable less affected then other states. As the national average of home sales plummeted like a rock, Texas homes remained almost untouched by the downturn and have remained relatively constant in price and availability.
3. Jobs: "The unconventional oil and gas boom has helped turn Texas into an economic juggernaut, particularly world energy capital Houston," Joel Kotkin, professor of urban development at Chapman University in Orange, Calif., told the BBC. Houston area employers created 65,100 jobs from July 2010 to July 2011 - a 2.6 percent year-over-year increase. Job growth also has been strong in tech and business services, bringing people searching for jobs in the droves.
4. Southern Hospitality: It’s a real thing! People in the south, particularly Texas, uphold a creed of conduct and manners that most would consider too formal and an over-all waste of time. We’re not saying it's the only reason people are flocking to Houston but it certainly is a factor!
5. Family-Friendly: Texas' "Good-value housing" draws families, with some cities, like Houston, having an above-average number of children. Houston also has some of the best schools in the country, both private and public, attracting families from all over. In large metropolises, like Houston, here is guaranteed to be something fun and interesting to do for everyone in your family.
The lid is out about Texas and the true oasis that the Lone Star State is! Lancaster Homes, Houston's premier home builders, serves the great city proud by offering up the best Houston homes from the location, to the floor-plans, construction and amenities, every detail in a Lancaster Home forms part of an overall lifestyle design. As Houston home builders, the Lancaster Homes legacy is one of building history with a touch of that famous southern hospitality. With all these new arrivals into the Lone Star State and the great city of Houston, Lancaster is here to offer up a luxurious affordable Houston home that you will be proud to call your own! Contact us today to build you perfect Houston home!